Contact Me

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wacky Water Fun!

All 3 playing together in the sprinkler
What do you do with 3 kids when it is 900 degrees inside and out. We have no air conditioning in our new house. We can't find our sprinklers. And the kids are getting quite sick of shopping just to stay cool. So we devised a new water toy.


We made a sprinkler and it cost us nothing!!! 
Bubba running through

"What?" you say, that can't be possible. Well it is. I took an old 2 liter bottle from honey's favorite drink (Mt Dew). I used a knife and punctured many holes in it. And we duct taped it to the end of a hose. Yes I could have gone to the store (more shopping) and bought a coupler that fit them both, but then it wouldn't have been FREE. After duct taping it together I threw it over a tree branch, turned it on and let them have fun. 
Princess running through

Some of you know where this is going, and I was afraid of this happening. Duct tape is not water tight or water proof. After a few minutes of water rushing over the tape it loosened. Sure enough with all 3 kids standing right next to it, it shot to the ground, spraying water EVERYWHERE. Yes it was refreshing, but shocking.
Not so sure of the water
Running away
So try two, I got my plumbers tape out. You know the white stuff that isn't really tape but seals everything up. Usually it is put on a pipe that you are going to screw together so that the threads don't leak. (can you tell  I am a daughter of a construction worker?) Anyways, back to the sprinkler, I wound that stuff around there till I couldn't see the end of the hose or the top of the bottle anymore. I then wrapped a ton of duct tape around that. It worked. It's been up for 3 days now and still holding. They enjoyed it so much. Almost worthless to go buy a sprinkler. 
Duct tape over Plumber's tape
IT Works!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment